Thursday, August 14, 2008

if only, if only, if only

Killer taped boy's torture, prosecutor says

The crime was meticulously planned, the killer choreographing every step from his surveillance of the doomed family to the videotaped torture of one of his youngest victims. Yet something as simple as a locked back door, or fiercer family dogs, might have turned Joseph Edward Duncan III away.

It's good to know victim blaming is alive and well with good ol' fashion brutal slayings and not just when talking about raping drunken sluts.

Later on in the article...

"He made a decision: 'If that back door is locked, I'm going to abort,"' Moss said Duncan later told police.

Oh, Mr. Duncan, don't toy with me. If you think anyone is actually going to believe something as simple as a locked door was going to prevent your sociopathic ass from killing this family, you're even more deranged that your crazy-assed photo with this news piece would lead us to believe.

I do believe there are things one can do to try and prevent nasty, horrible things from happening to them. When I come home late at night, I take my headphones off, I have my keys in hand, I try and be aware of everything around me. But you know what? Even if I was singing and skipping along to my tunes while talking on my cell phone and painting my nails, it still wouldn't mean it's acceptable for someone to attack me. And it still wouldn't mean it's my fault. Does the article say, "silly family, it's your fault you're all dead!"? Of course not. But how many people really think friends and family members of these poor people aren't already thinking, "my god, what could I have done? How could we have stopped it?" I think for most, it's a very basic response to try and think of what could have gone differently. If only this...if only that...

But the bottom line is that nothing this family did directly led to this whackjob killing them. The fact that he's a whackjob is what did it. They didn't put a sign on their door saying "how's about a killing spree?" and I find it seriously difficult to believe anything they could have done would have saved their lives if this guy was feeling the urge to "terrorize the Groene family, all because he wanted to "live out his fantasy" and exact revenge on society for perceived wrongs."

Can we pretty please stop suggesting as much?

No comments: