Thursday, February 4, 2010

I may not judge books by their covers...

but I certainly judge magazines by them.

When reading this article, my first reaction was, "dude, seriously? As much as my mind tends toward smutting up perfectly innocent images, not everything is meant to be taken as sexual."

I mean, I don't know an awful lot about skiing but from what I can tell, the pose Ms. Vonn is in seems to be one that is quite common to skiing. Oui?



But as I read some of the comments accompanying the article, I realized there was a similar Sports Illustrated cover years ago.



They aren't drastically different photos but the subtle differences speak volumes about each of them.

The latter is an action shot of A.J. Kitt (an Olympic athlete) skiing in what appears to be an attempt to show readers what a skilled athlete he is. The former appears to be a posed shot of Lindsey Vonn (also an Olympic athlete), a pretty girl bent over and smiling in what appears to be an attempt to show readers what a hot little number she is.

Funny, that.

No comments: