Monday, June 9, 2008

vacation, all I ever wanted...vacation, had to get away

Sometimes, all I really want to write about is work-related venting or work-related-not-appropriate-for-everyone's-online-eyes, stuff and I forget that I really can use this space for just about anything else I want.

Plans are coming together for what the parentals and I will be doing when they come out next month. We never try and plan out every day because let's face it, that's no kind of relaxing vacation (at least not to the three of us) but we do like to get an idea for what we'll be doing. On the list is...

- Going, at least once or twice, to Zanies. The first year they come out, we went and nearly pissed our pants, the guy was so funny. Last month when my mom and aunt came out, we went and again, saw a hilarious comedienne. So it's become somewhat of a "must do" when Mom & Dad come out. We also got some free passes when we girls were there so the three of us can go twice this summer and wind up only paying as if two of us went once. See, math can be fun!

- Spending a night at the theatre seeing Jersey Boys. My dad mentioned that he wanted to see this forever and a day ago. I'm not really sure how big he and my mom are on live theatre but I know the music is the clincher for Dad and Mom seems to be pretty open to trying out just about anything. Live theatre is one of those things I'd throw money on all the time if I had more of it to throw around. So this should be super fun. Plus, I dig the oldies.

- A Chicago Trolley & Double Decker bus tour. We took the downtown one last year, where you can get on and off the bus at any of the designated pickup stops scattered through the downtown area. This year, we're going to do the Ethnic Chicago route, which takes us through Chinatown, Little Italy, West Loop / Harpo Studio, and Greektown. I've eaten once in Greektown, I've eaten several times at the restaurant across from Oprah's studio, but have never roamed around the neighborhoods. Ever since they started coming out here, my dad and I have wanted to stroll through Chinatown so this should be the perfect time. Especially considering that on July 20th, the Chinatown Summer Fair will be going on, which should be a great atmosphere in which to walk around the neighborhood.

- Since it's the only time my parents come out and have a car while they're here, we really have no choice but to take a trip to Swedish Heaven.

- I think the steakhouse of choice this year will be Ruth's Chris. As a lover of all things cooking / food-related, my dad likes to try out a nice steak place while they're here and we checked out Chicago Chop House last year. There are tons to choose from but Dad's mentioned that he'd really like to try this place out this year. My aunt said when she went to one in New York City, it was "the best fucking steak I've ever had." Here's hoping they serve chicken too.

Even though I'm staying in the place where I live (you may now commence with the REM singing), it's still an awesome vacation for me since:
a. I won't be at work
b. I get to hang out with my parents
c. I get to do the touristy things I don't usually do on my own

I wish I could go all Hermione on Chicago's ass and make it July already.

No comments: